So Husband has returned after a long three months away and life is returning to normal. The blogging break was not ideal but very necessary for my sanity.
While I shall not attempt to recap the last three months in this post, I will give you a glimpse of what I’ve been up to by sharing two very successful Pinterest projects!
Check out my bats cut out of black felt using freezer paper templates. This is a wonderful thing for those of you that have never heard of it. Iron on shapes cut out of freezer paper (not waxed paper) to felt, cut the shape out of felt, and then peel off the freezer paper. Genius! A quick zip through the sewing machine right down the middle of each bat with the tips slightly overlapped completed the garland. I hung it with double sided tape and clear thumbtacks on the ends.
Toddler Bird Costume
(inspired by http://mayjuneandjuly.com/2011/10/31/happy-halloween/)
I am very proud of this costume! With minimal sewing skills, I modified the design of a post on Pinterest to make this adorable costume. Wings were cut out on my lunch breaks from about 12 different fabrics and 2 shades of blue felt. I used a bottle of no-fray liquid on the edges of the fabric feathers. A store bought dress from Baby Gap (on sale) was the base. For the bottom layers of feathers I just sewed them to the dress in a straight line.
The wings were 2 pieces of fabric I liked sewn together. I pinned them right sides facing with the alternating felt feathers in between and feathers pointing in (this took a little trial and error to come up with the right order to pin items). I sewed the perimeter leaving about a five inch hole to turn the wing right side out and then hand stitched the hole closed. Here they are pre-iron.
Once I got about 2/3 of the way up the dress, I was no longer able to sew on the feathers. Too much material to fit in the machine. So I used a pea sized dot of glue from a hot glue gun to afix the feathers. I followed up with a very large hand stitch across each glued row in hopes of making the costume a little more toddler-proof. The final step was to cut out of yellow felt two feet to attach to her shoes and a narrow strip of felt to cover the unfinished edge of the top row of feathers. I sewed the feet onto the velcro straps of her shoes.
And hear she is after a full morning of playing at daycare!